Thursday, September 25, 2014

Mistakes I made with my Rescue Dog!

Phoenix & Zoe

I've been reading a lot of posts about "do-overs" and in the spirit of my favorite quote from Bark and Lunge by Kari Neumeyer: "You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." (originally by Maya Angelou) I am going to do a series of posts about what I think I did wrong with my rescue dogs and what I wish I had done instead or how I'd handle things that happened now. I completely understand that there's no going back, we can only move forward but if someone else can learn from my mistakes and not make the same ones I did then it's totally worth it for me to talk about it. 

The blog posts will mostly feature Phoenix since I had absolutely no experience with reactive dogs before her. These posts will go up on Thursdays since it's also kind of a "Throwback Thursday" sort of thing. I will start this series next week. 

I'm having some nostalgia this week. It's the 5th anniversary of Chloe's death. So I'd like to focus on one of the main things that people really regret when they lose a pet: Not having photos of themselves taken with their pets. I have exactly one photo of myself with Chloe.

 Me and My Sweet Girl, Chloe

There are many reasons why people don't have photos done some of them include: not liking the camera, being rushed or worrying about how they look, etc. I can tell you that I am one of these people. If I don't have my makeup and hair done the way I like it then I don't want a camera anywhere near me! So I completely understand. I'm working really hard on getting over this and I try to get photos of myself and my pets whenever possible. I have thousands of photos of Zoe, Phoenix and the kitties by themselves but not very many with me in them. I think I have more pictures of The Doggie Daddy with the dogs than I have of me with them. I definitely plan on changing this soon and maybe at some point we can even do a family photo. 

 Vince aka "The Doggie Daddy" with Phoenix & Zoe

Me with Phoenix & Zoe

I will also admit that I spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about losing my dogs, even though they are still pretty young. We lost both of our family dogs when they were 11 years old and I absolutely regret not having more pictures taken with them. Our dog's lives are way too short compared to ours and I really want to make the most of the time we have. 

 Kahlua & Moe

Zoe doesn't like taking selfies!

So my advice for everyone is to take photos with your pets. When the time comes you will want these special photos. Trust me, I know. 

I know that sometimes it can be hard and we honestly are our own worst critics, but take them anyways. Even if your hair and makeup is not done, even if your hair is windblown and your skin is wind burnt and bright red, even if your dog has a funny look of torture on their face. Just take them.  Take the time and enjoy every moment with them! You won't regret it!

Me and Phoenix




 

28 comments:

  1. You make a good point that most people don't realize or think about. For that reason, we had a photographer do a shoot with Katie, Mom, and I two years ago. It was lots of fun and we got some awesome photos. Now we need to do the same with Bailie. It was not cheap, but since we are so important in Mom's life, it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I really want to have some professional photos done!

      Delete
  2. Hi Y'all!

    Love, love that last photo of you with Phoenix! So beautiful and the setting to match!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! At the time that photo was taken she was still a little nervous about being handled. I think it turned out really well, though. :D

      Delete
  3. I so totally agree with you! With each dog, I've gotten better about photos. But I look back and wish I had many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too wish I had more pictures of our previous dogs - we've got tons of Jack & Maggie but precious few of Sally, Tino & Becca. I love the photo of you with them - they are paying such good attention to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually couldn't find any photos of me with our family dogs. :(

      Thank you so much! We work really hard on paying attention. :)

      Delete
  5. Awww. I have a small handful of photos of myself and my big dogs, but scads of photos of myself with the little dog. He climbs up on my chest and makes it easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! That's awesome that your little one makes it so easy!! :D

      Delete
  6. I definitely need to get more pictures of myself with the fluffies. I have tons of them, but hardly any with me included. I guess I need to learn to love the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am one of those who hates having my own picture taken. I avoid it like the plague! But you are right! I will regret not posing with my dogs when they are gone. I try to force myself every now and again. And, like you, I have plenty of John with the dogs because he doesn't mind the camera, or should I say, he is a ham for the camera :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm the same way! I'm always the one behind the camera and when I ask my husband to take photos, sometimes he can be a bit impatient. LOL

      Delete
  8. Can never have too many pictures of your dog, but you're right. Mom hates her picture taken so she has very little with me. Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pictures! I enjoy taking pics of my pups...in fact I have tons! Yikes...but one thing I have noticed is that since i'm taking pictures I don't often end up in them...I'm going to have to get my hubby to help me correct this.
    One thing I love is that your Zoe and Phoenix match! It's so cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!

      Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm always the one behind the camera. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! What a great post! I have made that same mistake before too. Not having pictures of myself with my pet...then it is just too late. Now I have MILLIONS of pics!!!

    PS I wanted to let you know, yesterday I tried to come to your blog but was blocked.
    A big read page came up and said "this site has malware. A site called scottishterriernews.com has put malware on this site, if you continue your site will get malware too" or something along those longs. SO I just thought I would let you know. This has happened to a few peoples blogs, so I would check around your blog for any link or anything from that site, and remove it!

    Have a most wonderful end of the week :-)
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      That is so weird!! I don't have any links like that on here! All the comments are moderated, too.. Hmm...

      Delete
  11. I'm looking forward to your new series!
    One great thing about having a blog is that I take so many more photos of the pets now than I used to. I don't like to include myself in there as much, but I have actually been doing it more now than in the beginning. I even did a silly selfie with Luke and got the nerve to put it on the blog!
    I would love to have some professional photos done too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree about the blog!! :D I've been taking silly selfies, lately too.

      Delete
  12. That is so true! Looking forward to the series. Love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The nice thing about blogging is that it spurs us on to take the pictures. :) I am looking forward to your series. Thanks so much for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is really sad that I look back and have so many photos of my dogs but not many with us together. I really need to work on that. I'm looking forward to the new series. I'd never had a reactive dog before Laika so I'm always looking for advice, stories, and observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. I don't have very many at all with my family dogs. I actually couldn't even find one to post here. Yeah, I've never had a reactive dog, either, before Phoenix and her reactivity is odd. She's also very impulsive so we are working really hard on teaching her to think before acting.

      Delete
  15. That is great advice. Once, many, many years ago I wouldn't leave the house without make-up never mind having a photo taken. The wisdom of age has prevailed now and I just don't care. I have whittled my make-up down to mascara for work and will add a bit more when going out some place special. You are a beautiful young woman, don't worry about the make-up.

    Thank you for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!