Tuesday, September 30, 2014

ZoePhee's Tribute to Dr. Sophia Yin

Photo Credit: Dr. Yin's Facebook Page

I am so sad and shocked to learn of Dr. Sophia Yin's death. I want to express my sincere condolences to Dr. Yin's family, friends and her dog Jonesy. The Dog Training Community has lost one of greatest advocates for Force Free Training and Low Stress Handling. She will be truly missed by all.

I didn't know Dr. Yin personally but I've followed her work for many years and I've read a lot of her books. Her video on "Counter Conditioning Aggression" is one of the first I've ever watched and I've learned so much from her. I even use some of her free posters on my training page. I admire her work so much and I can't believe she's gone. :(


Dr. Yin dedicated her life to easing the fear and stress that animals go through in veterinary clinics and educating people about force free handling and training techniques. She was known for her ability to solve aggression, fear, barking, jumping and biting in both dogs and cats with positive reinforcement. Her page "The Dominance Controversy" has helped to educate countless people on what dominance is and isn't and why Cesar Millan's methods are inappropriate and detrimental. Not to mention all the other extremely useful articles she's written. She was absolutely amazing.

Dr. Yin pictured with her dog, Jonesy 
Photo Credit: Dr. Yin's Facebook Page

Rest in Peace Dr Yin! We will miss you!

10 comments:

  1. The world need more people like Dr. Yin, not less. This is very sad indeed. Perhaps in the wake of this tragedy and the outpouring of sadness over this loss, new people will be opened up to force free training and her legacy will grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ashamed to say I have never heard of her! Based on the outpouring, I obviously was missing out on the teachings of a wonderful person. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't ever heard of her but I send my deepest sympathies, tragic loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute. I was familiar with her name, but didn't really know too much about her. I looked at some of your links and she sounds like a wonderful woman and trainer. I will probably use some of her resources, and at least those should live on for her....what a great legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was shocked and very very sad to hear of Dr. Yin's passing. She was an amazing influence on the world of dog-training and helping fearful dogs. I believe her influence will live on but I am still speechless to have her so suddenly taken from us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bit embarrassed as I had not heard of her before, either. That video was quite interesting, and I will definitely try it on Chewy. He can get real snappy during grooming, but only at home. Maybe because he's not up high on a table.
    Lovely tribute, and you have already expanded the reach of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so sorry. I did not know her, but I send my deepest condolences to her family and friends :(
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren this was great... wonderful tribute. I am so grateful to her and all that she did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt rocked by her passing too, especially to learn it was from suicide. She looks so happy in all her pictures, which of course doesn't mean anything. I wish I knew more about her personally, but I've long admired her work. I love the dog body language posters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so upset and shocked to read this on Facebook as well...I was never fortunate enough to have met Sophia, but she was a fellow contributor to the Victoria Stilwell blog and I was a long time follower of hers. My heart goes out to her friends, staff and family. She will always be remembered for the generous and amazing woman she is!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!